Community and Therapeutic Recreation

School of Health and Human Sciences

Master of Science (M.S.) Degree in Parks and Recreation Management

The Department of Community and Therapeutic Recreation offers a Master of Science degree in Parks and Recreation Management.  Students may choose one of the following two concentrations:  Community Recreation Management, or Therapeutic Recreation

Admission Requirements for the Master of Science Degree

    • An undergraduate GPA of 3.00
    • Current resume
  • Professional statement including career goals, and three references

Interviews are encouraged for all applicants, and required for graduate assistants.  Based on experience, recommendations, and interviews, a provisional admission may be granted.  Upon completion of 6 to 9 credits with a B grade or better, a provisionally admitted student may be granted full graduate standing.

A student who does not have an undergraduate degree in Recreation and Parks and/or appropriate experience will be required to take undergraduate prerequisite courses from his/her concentration.  Students in the Community Recreation Management concentration will be required to take CTR 241.  Students in the Therapeutic Recreation concentration will be required to take two of the following three courses; i.e., CTR 231, 332, 338. 

Degree Requirements for the Master of Science Degree

The M.S. degree requires 36 credit hours, with at least one-half the work credited toward the degree in 600-level courses or above, an overall average of B (3.0), or better, and successful completion of a capstone experience (thesis, project, internship). 

The student, after discussing his/her career goals with his/her advisor, may choose either the thesis or non-thesis option. However, if the student selects the non-thesis option, the advisor will determine (based on amount of professional experience) whether the student does a project, internship, or both.  For example, a student choosing the non-thesis option and having minimal professional experience will be required to do an internship or an internship and project.

There is a five (5) academic year time limitation beginning with the first graduate course taken.  Prerequisites do not count toward the time limit. 

Students must meet with their advisor or the Director of Graduate Study before registering for any coursework.

Accelerated Degree Program (ADP) – B.S. to M.S. Program

Application and Admission

Qualified UNCG undergraduate students who are pursuing the B.S. in Recreation and Parks Management may apply for admission to the Accelerated Degree Program. A cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.5 based on at least 30 hours earned at UNCG is required. Applicants must have completed at least 60 semester credits and may not apply for admission to the ADP before the first semester of the junior year. Applicants will not be required to take an entrance exam. All applicants must submit the Request for Accelerated Degree Program to the Graduate School, and must simultaneously apply for admission to the graduate degree program.

Admitted students may apply a maximum of 12 credits of graduate-level coursework (each course carries 3 credits) from the following course list toward completion of both the undergraduate and graduate degree, provided that they earn a grade of “B” (3.0) or better in each course and fulfill graduate-level requirements.

Graduate Documents, Forms, and Links


For Application Deadline, Tuition, and Requirements, please visit the Graduate School